Monday 4 June 2012

Patriotic Jubilee NOTD


I'm so glad my OPI Jubilee Nail Polish set came in time!

(However, somehow these polishes look a little too Captain America than Union Jack!)


So this design was mainly to showcase my two new OPI colours - DS Magic and DS Bold. 


DS Bold is a sheer red polish with glitters that are more of a pinky-silver. To get the opaque look above I had to paint some plain red polish underneath. It's not my favourite polish but nevertheless a nice one to have in my collection.


However, DS Magic is beautiful. I really wish the camera could pick up the multi-tonal shades that it has. From afar, it does look like your average shiny blue but when you really look at it you can see it has somewhat duo-chrome properties, bringing out glimmers of purples and even teals!

Anyway, a step-by-step guide has been created in case you want to create this look:

Step 1: White Base.

I used Revlon 050 White On White but I think it's drying out a little as the application isn't so smooth anymore. I used two coats for this opacity.

Step 2: Blue Lines

With the use of the polish brush (this is the only time the pro-wide brushes aren't so helpful), I striped two layers of DS Magic down the centre of each nail. I only used thin coats, building up my polish to the desired opacity by just wiping the brush thoroughly before application.

Step 3: Red tips

Because DS Bold is too sheer to show a true red and cover the blue sufficiently, I used Maybelline Express Finish Lacquer in 505L Cerise Cherry as a base red. 

Step 4: Adding glitter.

This is where a couple of sheer coats of DS Bold come in. 

And then, top it all off with some strong top coat. 


It's not perfectly straight lines, but they can be forgiven.


Flash!

Long love the Queen!!!

Have you painted your nails red, white and blue for the Diamond Jubilee festivities?

Love love and Jubilieelove!!
Toffee xXxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment